Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Relatable

"I found myself in one of those times of life when a door has been slammed shut, and I did not see another one to open. I wondered what I was going to do next. I looked at various interests and majors, only to arrive at a deep emptiness and sense of darkness regarding the future.
I had many friends, but a few failed dating relationships had left me wondering if I would ever be able to make a relationship work. How did one find the right relationship? What did it look like? Was I even the kind of person who could pull that off? My relational future did not look any more hopeful than my vocational one.
It was in this state of mind and circumstance that I found myself that Sunday afternoon in my room. Thoughts about all the aspects of life that were not working went through my head like a whirlwind. What will I do? Who will I end up with? How will I find my way in my career and in my relationships? How can I change into a person who is not so depressed and unable to figure this all out? I didn't have any answers."

Knowing who said this, and knowing where his life took him later on, gives me a bit of hope for how closely I relate to his words now. Maybe things will get better - and stay better.

Source: Dr Henry Cloud, How People Grow, pg 66

No comments:

Post a Comment