Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Arrow

I love the show Arrow. It has a surprising depth that I haven't found in many other shows (even more surprising because I'm quite out of the target demographic for most CW shows).

The relationship between three of the main characters (John Diggle, Felicity Smoak and Oliver Queen) shows the kind of loyal camaraderie that I aim to emulate in my closest relationships. Plot and details spared, the latest episode hit me right to my hidden core.

The scene when Oliver is trying to protect Diggle, but Diggle rejects his concerns, Felicity quietly listening in the foreground.
The scene in the hospital room with Diggle's recant and Oliver watching from the doorway.
The hallway scene.
The entire arc of the episode.

Right decision or wrong decision, I relate to Oliver almost palpably. The look on his face in the hospital room. Seeing the family he deeply wants. Being within touching distance of having it, knowing it is right there to grab. Deciding that his dreams can't happen, that the bigger picture is more important than his personal happiness. Walking away, causing pain to those he desperately wants to protect and love.

Then, in an euphoria born from being newly-paternal, Diggle obliviously validates Oliver's decision, forcing to the surface the agonizing truth that Oliver can never experience the type of joy he is watching his friend swim in, the type of joy Oliver can imagine having with the woman standing right in front of him. He is left to cope and grieve.

Right decision or wrong decision, I heavily relate to his grief-laced coping.




No comments:

Post a Comment