Monday, October 6, 2014

thorns



I read the parable of the farmer and his seeds again tonight (Matthew 13:1-9).

Some of the seeds fell on the footpath, some fell in the rocks, others into the thorns, and finally some in the tilled earth. (If you're unfamiliar with the story, or need a quick refresh like I did, you can read the explanation here in Matthew 13:18-23.)

I always thought I was a seed in the tilled earth, but tonight I see that I am usually among the thorns. Good heart, good intentions, but nevertheless living among the worries of life as they silently choke out my tiny seeds of hope and faith, never allowing a harvest to develop and multiply. Never allowing me to actually live the faith and dreams I think God placed in my heart.

I've lived life among these thorns. Going moment to moment thinking I was just listening to simple prudence and responsibility, never seeing the thorns there, never considering that they may be why I am suffocating.

But how do I apply this to everyday life without opening myself up to really stupid decisions?

How do I become tilled earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment